Aug 30, 2009

Working Polymer Clay in Hot Weather

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org I was so excited when I got another new Polymer Clay Book yesterday. "The Art of Polymer Clay Millefiori Techniques" by Donna Kato. I'm all ready to learn to make some of these fun canes to use in my beads, so I start to condition the clay and then carefully form the inner part of the cane, nice round dots. I add the outer layer of clay and start rolling to shrink it down. My clay is getting softer and softer. Needless to say my round dots are now squashed ovals. At some point it dawned on me that maybe I need to put the first rounds in the refrigerator to set up a little before I add the outside sheet. Oh, did I tell you, we are having a heatwave here in my Desert City of California. Friday was 118, Saturday 114 and today 115. Do you think that might be why I have soft clay? :)

No comments: